Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2008

Post Reading Deprivation

There are so many things I learn and enjoy from blogging and especially the Every Day Matters group. Thank you for the dozens of passionate responses about whether to read or follow the Artist's Way plan! Your support and kind comments the past year kept me engaged and your talent has taught me so much!

When I decided to follow the Artist's Way Plan, of not reading for one week, I knew that I would NEVER neglect personal emails or my job hunt. Yes, I am a blog lover--addict perhaps....yeah..for sure. But, I just love seeing what the folks in this EDM group are creating and I so enjoy reading about the lives of the bloggers I subscribe to around the globe. What an education it has been for me. Art, geography, history, fantasy, spirituality, politics...you name it.......your sketches feed my heart and soul and I won't ever stop following along with your lives and everything you create.

Sooo...I put the books down after peeking the day I received them. I figured since I am facilitating the Artist's Way Cluster, I should at least follow the program. Although difficult to understand how not reading books on art could help me unleash my creativity, I decided to give it a chance. My nose would grow if I said I stayed completely away from reading my favorite blogs. I scaled back by at least 80% but just couldn't bring myself to abandon the great pleasure of viewing your art every day.

Some things I did this week that may fall under the creativity umbrella:
Took a jewelry making class with my niece (early gift to her)
Bought all the makings for another niece's ballet scrapbook
Made my DIL a necklace and some earrings for me
Painted my bathroom
Replaced outlet covers with something prettier
Mowed the yard;raked the leaves;planted some pansies
Hung new house numbers
Made a pebble mosiac window sill in the shower
Got two pictures framed and hung
Rearranged the Living Room to accommodate the new TV
Bought three new lamps and got rid of one
Finished shopping and wrapped them up
Made huge vat of chicken and dumplins and took some to friends
Made a list of art projects for 2009
Some other terrific things that have happened this past few days--
Got an offer on the California house (after 9 months)
Got two job offers!

Who knows if the above would have happened with or without the rules of the Artist's Way. What do you think?

Now...back to sketching and posting and READING..

Happy New Year!
Lisa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Lisa, I am really impressed! What a lot you acomplished in one week - at that rate, there seems to be every likelyhood that you will meet all your aims for 2009!
Althought I didn't offer an opinion on the reading dilemma, I think you did the right thing!
All the best for 2009 - I shall follow your progress with interest!

Capt Elaine Magliacane said...

I too am impressed with your thoughtful list... you are WAY more organized than I am... the photo of your studio/drawing table says that too... I could only come up with a short list of 4 things for resolutions... goals... hum, wake up tomorrow... that's a goal for me LOL

ArtistUnplugged said...

Congratulations on all your accomplishments this past year and especially this past week - way to go! Please, send me some of that energy drink you are sipping!

Kathleen said...

Great list - Your rational reasons for Not reading - made it the right choice for you - & congrats on the job offers they are few and far between in this economy-